New bfd file format bfd_image ....

Ian Lance Taylor ian@wasabisystems.com
Wed May 5 02:08:00 GMT 2004

Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org> writes:

> - there's a problem tunneling the address of the in-memory elf header

I don't really understand what this is used for, so please pardon the
obvious questions.  The ELF header in an ELF file is always at offset
zero.  Why can't you use that?  Why do you need to specify the address
somehow?  Assuming some obvious answer to that, could you pass the
information to the iovec somehow?

> Another thought was to use a filed like:
> 	abfd->origin
> comments?

I suppose that I do think it would be reasonable to consistently use
abfd->origin as a file offset.  The current code only uses it when
abfd->my_archive is not NULL, but I don't see why we need to keep that
requirement.  We just set abfd->origin to 0 in the normal case.

Ian