success (distclean), and almost success (make check).

Dave Korn dk@artimi.com
Tue Mar 30 17:06:00 GMT 2004

  Hooray!  Success at last!

> The straightforward build, just using a parallel directory,
> does fail one test for gas, but I don't know if that is significant.

> Should I be concerned about this?

  Not immediately.  For a start, that error was also present in your other
build:

--------snip--------
dk@mace /davek> wget
http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/binutils-cvs-make-distcl
ean-test.txt
--14:49:37--
http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/%7Ehgs/binutils-cvs-make-distclean-te
st.txt
           => `binutils-cvs-make-distclean-test.txt'
Resolving www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk... 146.227.22.23
Connecting to www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk[146.227.22.23]:80... connected.
Length: 229,489 [text/plain]

100%[====================================>] 229,489       38.26K/s    ETA
00:00

14:49:45 (36.01 KB/s) - `binutils-cvs-make-distclean-test.txt' saved
[229489/229
489]

dk@mace /davek> wget
http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/binutils-cvs-failure.txt
--14:51:18--  http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/%7Ehgs/binutils-cvs-failure.txt
           => `binutils-cvs-failure.txt'
Resolving www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk... 146.227.22.23
Connecting to www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk[146.227.22.23]:80... connected.
Length: 201,051 [text/plain]

100%[====================================>] 201,051       30.88K/s    ETA
00:00

14:51:26 (28.81 KB/s) - `binutils-cvs-failure.txt' saved [201051/201051]

dk@mace /davek> grep ^FAIL: binutils-cvs-*
binutils-cvs-failure.txt:FAIL: CFI on SPARC 64-bit
binutils-cvs-make-distclean-test.txt:FAIL: CFI on SPARC 64-bit
dk@mace /davek>

  So you just overlooked the message.  CFI is some kind of dwarf2-related
frame unwinding / exception handling stuff, IIUIC; it's still a bit fluid,
and the occasional bug is likely to show up.  If 64-bit SPARC is an
important platform for you, you could always investigate.....

    cheers,
      DaveK