binutils-2.14: gmake check fails on Solaris9.

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri Mar 12 17:09:00 GMT 2004

Hi Hugh,

> So I was thinking there might be something to filter the core file
> in order to yield information to better effect that my efforts above.

You could try running the link process under gdb, so that when it does
seg fault GDB will catch it.  That often works for me.

Another very useful thing, since this appears to be a memory
corruption problem, would be to turn on malloc() debugging.  I am not
familiar with Solaris9 so I do not know if it has this feature, but
under Linux you can set a magic environment variable to have the
loader choose a debugging malloc shared library instead of the normal
one.

> So now with binutils from cvs what happens?  Errr, nothing: it
> builds but won't install from cvs:
>
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/export/home/Scratch/hgs/binutils-cvs/src/bfd/po'
> gmake[2]: Entering directory `/export/home/Scratch/hgs/binutils-cvs/src/bfd'
> gmake[3]: Entering directory `/export/home/Scratch/hgs/binutils-cvs/src/bfd'
> gmake[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
> /bin/sh ./../mkinstalldirs /scratch/local/lib
> /bin/sh ./../mkinstalldirs /scratch/local/include
> /bin/sh ./libtool  --mode=install ./install-sh -c libbfd.la /scratch/local/lib/libbfd.la
> ./install-sh -c .libs/libbfd.lai /scratch/local/lib/libbfd.la
> ./libtool: ./install-sh: not found

Well that's a bummer.  Is the install-sh script is in the top level
directory not the bfd directory, so it ought to be looking for
../install-sh.  I have no idea what went wrong with the configure
process to make it make this kind of mistake however.