undefined symbols in shared libraries

Robert Schweikert Robert.Schweikert@abaqus.com
Thu Mar 11 15:06:00 GMT 2004

There appears to have been a change in behavior w.r.t. using -z defs. At
some point using -z defs caused the linker to exit with an error if
there were unresolved symbols in a shared library. We recently upgraded
to a new linker (needed the weak symbol handling fix for performance
reasons) and now we only get warnings when using -z defs. I also tried
--no-undefined just in case the long option behaves differently, but it
doesn't. I further tried the combination of --no-undefined and
--error-unresolved-symbols and that still didn't help.

What do I need to set to get the previous behavior back? Meaning ld
should produce an error for unresolved symbols in .so files not for
symbols in glibc of course. I cannot use --fatal-warnings as it turns
all warnings into errors such that the following is also an error:

: warning: the use of `mktemp' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'

That's a warning I don't really care about.

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert
--