binutils-2.14: gmake check fails on Solaris9.

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Mar 10 12:05:00 GMT 2004

Hi Hugh,

> How can I find out if the output below is normal for binutils built
> with 'gcc (GCC) 3.3.2' on Solaris9.

There is no database of the normal results for particular
architectures and particular binutils releases.  The general principle
however is that there should be no unexpected failures in any of the
testsuites.  In practice this is often not the case, but then the onus
is on the binutils maintainers to find and fix these failures.  (Or
else decide that they are not failures at all and then modify the test
accordingly).

> Where is the information about the actual failures?

There will be files named <tool>.log in the various sub-directories.
So for example the linker test results will held in a file called
ld.log.  Due to historical inconsistencies these files are sometimes
in the build sub-directories themselves (eg <build>/ld/ld.log) and
sometimes in a sub-sub-directory called testsuite (eg
<build>/gas/testsuite/gas.log).

> What is the global config file that it complains about, or is that
> strictly a dejagnu question?

> WARNING: Couldn't find the global config file.
> WARNING: Couldn't find tool init file

It is a dejagnu thing.  It is looking for an environment variable
called DEJAGNU which contains a path to a global configuration file.
For example I have this in my .tcshrc script:

  setenv DEJAGNU 	   /home/nickc/work/site.exp

and then in the site.exp file I have things like this:

  # Make sure we look in the right place for the board description files.
  if ![info exists boards_dir] {
    set boards_dir {}
  }

  verbose "Global Config File: target_triplet is $target_triplet" 2
  global target_list

  # Note the following list is alpha sorted in order to help maintain it.
  case "$target_triplet" in {
    { "arm-*coff" "arm-*-aout" "arm-*elf" } {
    #	set target_list "arm-sim"
    #   set target_list "arm-sim{,thumb-interwork,thumb,cpu=strongarm,cpu=xscale,cpu=xscale -mthumb-interwork,cpu=xscale -mthumb}"
	set target_list "{arm-sim{,-mbig-endian}{,-mthumb-interwork}{,-mthumb}}"
    }
    { "sparc64-*elf" } {
	set target_list "usparc"
    }
    { "sparc-sun-solaris2.6*" } {
	set target_list { "unix" }
    }
    default {
	set target_list "You_Need_To_Edit_site.exp_and_add_$target_triplet"
    }
  }

  # If the tool under test won't really benefit from running on multiple
  # targets, then don't do so.
  #
  if { ! $run_multiple_targets } {
    set target_list [list [lindex $target_list 0]]
  }