MIPS registers symbolic naming

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists@icequake.net
Mon Mar 8 10:20:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

I noticed when using gas to assemble a mips program, that the symbolic
register names ($a0, $t0, $v0, etc) are not accepted, only numeric ones
are.  Does anyone know if there is a reason for this, beyond "nobody has
implemented that yet" ?  I notice an option in gcc for mips to use
symbolic names (-rnames), but it makes a point to mention that gas will
not assemble such a file.

Just curious; symbolic names make maintainance of assembly code much
more convenient (in my opinion).  If it is just something that someone
needs to do, I should find the time to work on a patch for it.

thanks,

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>