[top-level] C++-friendly allocators for libiberty

Andrew Cagney cagney@gnu.org
Mon Jun 28 15:43:00 GMT 2004

>>> I guess daniel had this in mind:

> Hmmm... What's the advantage of using XZALLOC over XCALLOC?

It avoids that extra argument (but yes, XZALLOC should be implemented
using XCALLOC).

> These macros don't address vector allocations and aren't paired
> with corresponding macros to release memory.

So far no need.  Since its C everyone already knows to call free().

>>They first appeared in GDB in '99 and were added to GDB's global header
>>> file in '02 (and I'm sure the idea was stolen from elsewhere).  Unlike
>>> the macros being proposed, these:
>>>
>>> - use uppercase to make it very very clear that they are macros
>

> This contraddicts the GCC addenda to the GNU coding conventions: macros
> meant to be used like C functions should be named like C functions.
> See http://gcc.gnu.org/codingconventions.html (Miscellaneous Conventions).

Fortunatly that addenda _only_ applies to GCC :-)

>>> - are named in a way that directly reflects their C herritage
>

> What we're trying to do is getting away from the (dangerous) C
> practice of allocating structures by casting around void pointers
> to raw memory blocks.

Right, and the above achieved that goal, and using a naming convention
that is very familar to the C programmer.

The bottom line is that there's no "right" answer here.

> The libcpp macros for type-safe memory allocation resemble C++-style
> memory allocation, hence the new/delete names.

> (Actually, C++'s new and delete would also perform construction
> and destruction, which we can't possibly do in C).

So lets (as in GDB, GCC and BINUTILS) stop beating about the bush and
accept C++ (and yes I hate C++).

Lets add these to a GCC(?) specific include/ header.  That way projects
that want those macros can.

Andrew