ld changing section names with attr "a" (ALLOC)
Atul Talesara
atul.talesara@nevisnetworks.com
Fri Jul 23 11:26:00 GMT 2004
I'm facing a peculiar problem (might be a feature, don't know)
where linker changes the name of user defined section.
"GNU ld version 2.13.1" Cross-compiled for MIPS on x86.
I define section in assembly source as:
.section .new_section,"ax",@progbits
I assemble [1] and then link with 2 diff methods,
with my own linker script[2] and with section address
in command line[3]
[1] mips-elf-as test.s -o test.o
[2] mips-elf-ld -T m1.lk test.o -o test_wls.exe
OR
[3] mips-elf-ld --section-start .new_section=0x8000 test.o -o
test_cmdline.exe
I case of command [3] I see that linker adds the suffix ".1"
to the my new section name:
(and does *not* place it at the address I want)
------------------------------------------------
test_cmdline.exe: file format elf32-bigmips
Sections:
Idx Name Size VMA LMA File off Algn
0 .new_section 00000000 00008000 00008000 00001024 2**0
CONTENTS
------ snip ----->
CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, CODE
4 .new_section.1 0000000c 00400018 00400018 00001018 2**0
^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, CODE
Whereas this is NOT the case when I use the linker script:
------------------------------------------------
test_wls.exe: file format elf32-bigmips
Sections:
Idx Name Size VMA LMA File off Algn
0 .new_section 0000000c 00000800 00000800 00001800 2**0
CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, CODE
Additional note: I notice this happen *ONLY* when I set
the "a" bit for section, i.e. when I have section defined as
.section .new_section,"x",@progbits
linker doesn't play with names, but then that section
is not disassembled with 'objdump -D' option!
In short my requirement is I want to define a section
that holds code (ALLOC, CODE bit set) and should be able
to specify the section start address on *command line*
I looked through manual and web, but in vain. Am I
missing something? I'm attaching the files I used, please help.
TIA.
Regards,
Atul P Talesara
---------------------------------------------
Everyone wants to save the world,
But no one wants to help mumma with dishes!
---------------------------------------------
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: test.s
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 445 bytes
Desc: test.s
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/attachments/20040723/f74525c7/attachment.obj>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: m1.lk
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 236 bytes
Desc: m1.lk
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/attachments/20040723/f74525c7/attachment-0001.obj>
More information about the Binutils
mailing list