Support for sh-symbian-elf target

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Jul 7 08:06:00 GMT 2004

Hi Ben,

> One question:
>
> If the port is to Symbian OS, why does "symbian" appear in the
> manufacturer field of the configure triplet and not the OS field
> (eg. sh-unknown-symbian)?

Because - get this - their OS supports both COFF and ELF binaries and
they wanted to be able to distinguish between toolchains that generated
code for a particular file format.  I supposed that strictly speaking
the configuration triplet should have been "sh-unknown-symbianelf" or
"sh-unknown-symbiancoff" but that was rather clumsy and also implies
that they are using a somehow non-standard version of ELF or COFF, when
in fact they are using perfectly normal versions.