binutils 2.14 ld __dso_handle error

Kenneth McNamara conmara@grandcanyonhiker.com
Mon Jan 26 20:04:00 GMT 2004

I've seen some indication that this may be an 'ld' (Gnu Linker) bug -
if not, please excuse this email.

Fresh download and local compile of binutils 2.14 over the last
weekend.  This is a Redhat 8.0 system with a locally compiled 2.4.20
real time (rtai) kernel.

Compiling a medium complex product named EMC (which has been compiled
successfully by other people - but not on this system).

Error is:

/usr/local/bin/ld:  /usr/local/emc/plat/linux_rtai/bin/testppt : hidden
symbol '__dso_handle' in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2/crtbegin.o is referenced by DSO

I downloaded the 2.14 package because on the prior compile (with the
stock Redhat 8.0 system) the compile was successful - but when I tried
to run the program it exited complaining about the same hidden symbol.

So with 2.14 I got the error a lot sooner.

Doing a 'ld -cref' on the crtbegin.o file - sure enough - there's two
symbols there and __dso_handle is one of them.

I'm over my head on this - any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm
perfectly willing to run any additional tests or post any additional
information.

Thank you.

Ken McNamara
conmarar@grandcanyonhiker.com