[wip:binutils] Large corefile support

Ian Lance Taylor ian@wasabisystems.com
Sat Jan 17 04:50:00 GMT 2004

Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com> writes:

> - is requires --enable-64-bit-bfd
> A 32-bit BFD has a 32-bit signed file_ptr (limiting SEEK_SET to files
> up to 2gb).  I think the only robust way of handling files larger than
> that 2gb is to require a 64-bit file_ptr (and hence
> --enable-64-bit-bfd).

It seems to me that we should try to avoid confusing whether the
target is 64-bits with the size of a file pointer on the host.

Admittedly the issue is confused now, because file_ptr is typedefed to
be bfd_signed_vma.  But we don't need to perpetuate the confusion.  I
think we should define file_ptr to be off_t or off64_t, and then
consistently use ftello or ftello64 and friends if they are available.

So I guess I would like to see a bit more to your patch--change the
definition of file_ptr, too.  Despite the comment, we know how to set
the type based on host definitions tested by autoconf--see, e.g., the
handling of BFD_HOST_64_BIT.

Ian