less dwarf2 debug info stored in .o on ia64

Jim Wilson wilson@specifixinc.com
Fri Jan 9 20:39:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 04:41, Rens Sankar wrote:
> **here we can notice the information lose of "int :32", with dwarf-2 it
> is the same case on i386 also... but stabs on i386 has "int :32" info.

The cross post to binutils seems unnecessary.

You are comparing different debug info formats here, which you did not
mention in your first message.

Why do you need debug info for unnamed padding fields?  The user can't
see them, and we don't need info on them in order to compute the
location of following fields, so including them seems rather pointless.
Though Devang does have a good point about the gdb ptype command, the
output isn't quite right if we don't emit these unnamed fields.

As for the why, we have been ignoring nameless fields since the original
version of the dwarf2out.c file was added in 1996.  That was based on
the dwarf v1 dwarfout.c, which does the same thing, apparently since it
was contributed in 1990.  So we have been doing it this way for over 13
years now for dwarf debug info.