[discuss] --with-sysroot required when building 32->64 bit crosstoolchain? (was: building a cross-compiler is hard)

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 8 01:14:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:06:15PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 04:38:05PM -0800, Daniel Kegel wrote:
> > BTW, why do you build glibc twice?
>
> I thought it was important at one point, but I forget why.

It's needed when bootstrapping glibc, ie. if you don't have a previous
libc and crt* files available.  The trouble is that building a shared
glibc requires crt* to build, and the glibc build machinery isn't
clever enough to pick up newly built crt* files.  Also, gcc's configure
makes use of AC_TRY_LINK, which again needs crt files.  :-(

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre