Gas vs irregular files

Ian Lance Taylor ian@wasabisystems.com
Mon Jan 5 13:12:00 GMT 2004

Etienne Lorrain <etienne_lorrain@yahoo.fr> writes:

>  While reading the manual, I see that you cannot use "-" as a filename
>  for standard input, so that you can pipe the output of another
>  command (not only GAS/LD but for instance some software to read
>  FLASH/EEPROM). That is another "non usual" behaviour which could be
>  fixed if someone has the time for that.

You can pipe standard input to the assembler.  That's how gcc works
when the -pipe option is used.

It would be difficult to make the linker or objdump read from standard
input.  The only feasible way to do it would be to read standard input
into a temporary file (possibly in memory), and work from there.

Ian