Defining a section that isn't file-backed

Mike Hearn mike@theoretic.com
Thu Feb 26 18:40:00 GMT 2004


On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 18:26, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Looking back, I see that you are saying that the runtime loader is not
> giving you the protection you want.  The runtime loader is not part of
> the binutils, though.  It looks like you are asking for the right
> thing, and the question is why you aren't getting it.  I don't know
> why.

Yes, here is an extract from /proc/self/maps in this process:

00400000-10421000 rwxp 00000000 00:00 0

As you can see, not only is the load area slightly larger than I'd
expect, but it has been mmapped with greater permissions than I asked
for. 

I will go read the glibc sources and pester the glibc guys instead. Many
thanks for your help.

thanks -mike



More information about the Binutils mailing list