Problem with gas macros
Arun Vishwanathan
arun.vishwanathan@nevisnetworks.com
Wed Feb 25 14:29:00 GMT 2004
I have written a gas macro as follows :
.macro j label
.short (0xA000 | \label)
.endm
The above macro is supposed to generate the bytes directly for the "j"
instruction.
The label can be 11 bits maximum.
I am using the following gas version
bash# mips-as --version
GNU assembler 2.13.1
Copyright 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms
of
the GNU General Public License. This program has absolutely no
warranty.
This assembler was configured for a target of `mips16'.
I use the macro as follows in a file temp.S
--------------------------------------------
j label
instruction1
instruction2
-
label: instruction2
--------------------------------------------
I get the following error on assembly
bash-2.05b$ mips16-as -alhsm=temp.ls temp.S
temp.S: Assembler messages:
temp.S:275: Error: invalid section for operation
I am not able to understand what the error means. I dont understand what
invalid section for operation implies.
Under what conditions does this error arise ? Any help will be
appreciated.
Regards.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Arun Vishwanathan
Software Engineer
Nevis Networks Inc.
------------------------------------------------------------
Good design always comes from bad design.
More information about the Binutils
mailing list