Defining a section that isn't file-backed
Mike Hearn
mike@theoretic.com
Sun Feb 22 18:46:00 GMT 2004
Hi,
I'd like to use a linker script to define an ELF section that isn't backed
by disk space in the resulting binary, that I can place at a specific
absolute address in memory.
By "not backed" I mean something a bit like the BSS where the section
could be (say) 256mb but only take up a few bytes on disk. If the
resulting section is assigned to a read-only VMA range, then I think
the result should be equivalent to a MAP_NORESERVE | MAP_FIXED mmap before
the dynamic linker runs - am I correct?
If this is possible, what sort of script would I be looking for?
Alternatively which part of the ld manual describes how to do it, as I've
looked and not been able to find any info on this.
thanks -mike
More information about the Binutils
mailing list