Linker script PROVIDE statements

Nathan Sidwell nathan@codesourcery.com
Fri Feb 20 13:36:00 GMT 2004


Nathan Sidwell wrote:
> I discovered PROVIDE was broken, fixed thusly.  I'm not smart enough to
> figure out how to give the location of a conflicting definition, %D
> doesn't appear to work.
Oops, it appears that patch had some issues. Here is one I've tested
on i686-pc-linux-gnu, and does not break the shared object linking.

shared objects have their own global definitions of things like _etext,
which get pulled into the linker's symbol table.  I suspect that is wrong,
but I don't know how to fix it. Presumably _etext should either not be in
the shared object's symbol table at all, or simply not exported from it.

ok?

nathan

-- 
Nathan Sidwell    ::   http://www.codesourcery.com   ::     CodeSourcery LLC
nathan@codesourcery.com    ::     http://www.planetfall.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: provide-2.patch
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/attachments/20040220/15911c64/attachment.ksh>


More information about the Binutils mailing list