Question on PowerPC relocation error

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com
Sun Feb 8 19:40:00 GMT 2004


Momchil Velikov wrote:

>>>>>>"Joel" == Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com> writes:
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>
>    Joel> .../ld: ../../../../../mvme2307/lib/librtemsbsp.a(vectors.rel): the
>    Joel> target (globalExceptHdl) of a R_PPC_EMB_SDA21 relocation is in the
>    Joel> wrong output section (.bss)
>
>    Joel>  What does this error mean and what am I looking for as a
>    Joel> mistake?
>
>Unfortunately, binutils maintainers insist on this broken behaviour.
>
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-02/msg00442.html
>
>~velco
>  
>
At least I now understand that the variable in question is ended up in a 
short
section.  The compiler is doing it automatically.  Whether this is 
broken or not,
I need a fix to apply to the code in question.

Is there a recommended solution?  I can think of two alternatives:

  + declare the variable with an attribute attribute but I don't know 
what section
     to force it into.

  + declare it in assembly but I still don't know the right section.

So what section does it have to be in?

--joel



More information about the Binutils mailing list