Patch: IA64 gas patch to ignore unused symbols

Jim Wilson wilson@specifixinc.com
Fri Feb 6 23:55:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 15:24, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> 	* gas/config/tc-ia64.h (ia64_frob_symbol): New routine.
> 	(tc_frob_symbol): New macro definition.
> 	* gas/config/tc-ia64.c (ia64_frob_symbol): New routine.

It would be helpful if there were comments explaining what the code
does, and why those particular symbols are being frobbed.

I think the code should also be enabled only when TE_HPUX.  You are
making assumptions about the meaning of $global$ and $PIC_pcrel$0 which
are perhaps right for HPUX, but are definitely not right for linux.  I
don't see those symbol names in the binutils or gcc sources.  Maybe they
come from HPUX system header files?  Are different HPUX versions going
to need special treatment for different symbol names?  This approach
could get ugly.

I would have no objections to this if it was HPUX specific, and had the
usual explanatory function comment.

>IA64 GCC currently has another mechanism for handling this situation
>right now that doesn't inolve gas but it fails in the presense of
>pre-compiled headers

Sounds like that is a gcc problem, not a gas problem.