binutils-2.14/etc directory not in binutils-2.14 tarball?
Daniel Jacobowitz
drow@mvista.com
Fri Feb 6 20:43:00 GMT 2004
On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:33:56PM +0100, Lourens Veen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried unpacking binutils-2.14.tar.bz2, and tar gave me a
> whole bunch of error messages that looked like
>
> tar: binutils-2.14/etc/Makefile.in: Could not create file: No such
> file or directory
>
> I found it that the binutils-2.14/etc directory is not in the
> archive. Just to be sure I also downloaded binutils-2.14.tar.gz,
> and it had the same problem. The md5 sums of the files I downloaded
> are:
>
> 2da8def15d28af3ec6af0982709ae90a binutils-2.14.tar.bz2
> ba665d0ddcc88313384b79e293ecbbab binutils-2.14.tar.gz
>
> Using GNU tar 1.13, gzip 1.2.4 and bzip2 1.0.1 (rather old I know,
> I'm building an LFS system to replace my ancient Slackware install)
>
> Is tar supposed to create the directory automagically? At any rate,
> even if it does, it seems strange that it is not included in the
> tarball. Or is this intended for some reason?
>
> I also searched the archives of this list and binutils-bugs, but
> couldn't find anything. Please CC replies to me as I'm not
> subscribed.
It appears that the version of GNU tar I use, and have used for a
number of years, does not include directories when tarballs are built
using -T on a list of the files. I've never met a version of tar that
complained when unpacking such a tarball, but it does seem worth
fixing.
--
Daniel Jacobowitz
MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer
More information about the Binutils
mailing list