cannot build mainline GCC with mainline binutils

Bob Wilson bwilson@tensilica.com
Fri Dec 3 01:00:00 GMT 2004

H. J. Lu wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 05:35:29PM -0800, Wilson; Bob, Tensillca wrote:
>>I discovered a problem while trying to build mainline GCC with mainline
>>binutils for an xtensa-elf target.  It looks like some of the recent comdat
>>patches require the assembler's DIFF_EXPR_OK macro to be defined.  This is
>>not true for Xtensa or MIPS.
>> [details removed]
>
> Someone is wrong. Can you create very very small testcase in assembly?

This turned out to be a bug in the Xtensa port of GAS.  I've committed the
following patch that fixes the problem.

2004-12-02  Bob Wilson  <bob.wilson@acm.org>

         * config/tc-xtensa.c (xtensa_switch_section_emit_state): Use subseg_set.
         (xtensa_restore_emit_state): Likewise.