Change in 'ar' behaviour

Jeff Baker jbaker@qnx.com
Wed Aug 11 18:24:00 GMT 2004

>>I tried the -P option to ar, but that only causes ar to add every
>
> object
>
>>to the file whether the full path matches or not.  Is this behaviour
>>expected?
>

> It seems a little unreasonable to me..

I think the behaviour is somewhat expected, but undesireable.
'1/name.o' gets added to the archive as 'name.o'.  'ar -rP main.a
1/name.o' checks '1/name.o' against 'name.o', sees that they don't
match, assumes it's a different object and adds it as 'name.o'.  Without
the path information in the archive to check against this is just the
nature of -P.  Is there anything that can actually be done about it?