newbie problem with sparc64 architecture

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed Apr 28 17:07:00 GMT 2004

Andrei Dergatchev wrote:
> Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com> wrote:
>> I'm having trouble cross-building glibc-2.3.2 for sparc64-linux.
>> ... Error: Illegal operands: There are only 32 single precision f registers; [0-31]
>
> gas seems to be all right here, looks like your
> gcc is generating bad instructions:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2004-01/msg00106.html
> and follow-ups
> (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2004-01/msg00289.html)

Nope, it's not gcc, because the instructions in question
are hand-coded in assembly by gcc.  See
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2004-04/msg00687.html
Nobody replied to that, so maybe I'll have to learn
enough sparc64 assembly myself to decide whether this is
a binutils problem (overeager check) or a glibc coding error.
I wish some sparc64 expert would have a look.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com