demand_empty_rest_of_line and ignore_rest_of_line

Hans-Peter Nilsson hp@bitrange.com
Tue Apr 27 02:02:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I'm talking about the 192 places in the GCC source code where "APP" or
> "NO_APP" or other names related to emitting these strings in assembly
> appear.  If it were one, I'd not be complaining.  Two or three even,
> ok.  192, not cool.
>
> (number got by running "find . -type f | grep -v CVS | grep -v ChangeLog |
> xargs egrep '(\<APP\>|\<NO_APP\>|APP_ON|APP_OFF|app_on|app_off)' | wc -l"
> in a CVS checkout - yes, documentation deliberately included).

Seems you're counting occurrences in individual target files as
well.  Besides, IIRC there's redundancy in the machinery, some
of which you added yourself.

If you remove it all from core GCC, we can still have the
#NO_APP emitted in the target's file_start_whateveritsname
function.  I really don't see why there should *necessarily* be
a "nontrivial" overhead.  (Away from my checkout areas at
the moment so I can't produce counterclaims. ;-)

Point is, this functionality, emitting a string at the head of
the assembly file, and avoiding it if flag_verbose_asm, really
doesn't have to be complex...

brgds, H-P
PS.  Replies to Ian's messages be better sent to Ian than me.
Maybe the mailer is playing tricks on me but that'd be a first.