[mips patch rfc/rfa] get rid of coff embedded-pic support.
Thiemo Seufer
ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Apr 24 11:24:00 GMT 2004
Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Eric Christopher wrote:
>
> > > I'd like to retain the ELF MIPS_R_PCREL16, and implement external
> > > branches with it again.
> >
> > ? Why?
I guess this question was about the GNU ECOFF extension reloc, which
I'm not really interested in. :-)
> Well, some people find it useful. I wouldn't mind it, either. The i386
> ELF even supports 8-bit external branches (yes, +127/-128), so MIPS with
> its 18-bit range doesn't even look close to insanity.
Indeed, it can save some insns in hand-coded critical paths, without
the need of lumping all of it in one file. The code has just to reside
in a +-128k range, which should be easy to achieve.
Thiemo
More information about the Binutils
mailing list