libiberty.a question

Andrew Hall halla3@corp.earthlink.net
Mon Apr 19 20:50:00 GMT 2004

> > Do most ppl just forcefully overwrite the file?  ie. --force-overwrite
> > in dpkg?
>
> If you need to worry about that, whoever is packaging your sources is
> not doing it right.  You should never have two packages installing
> their sources in the same directory.

OK.  But GCC and binutils both install *by default* into /usr/local, so
this would be an example of a conflict, that is created by pkg
maintainers.  Although I agree w/ your assessment of no two pkgs putting
the same file into the same location, but it does occur, and I was
wondering how the list members handle such an occurrence.

I am just going to install version of binutils into a unique directory.

Thank you for your time.

Drew