darwin host?

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 14 07:26:00 GMT 2004


On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:34:42PM -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:
> Apple's policy, as I understand it, is to work with the free software
> community. In practice, as with just about every other vendor I know
> of who works with GNU, there will be some differences with FSF versions.
> We don't like having differences, for the purely selfish reason that
> they make it harder to merge in new FSF sources. On the other hand, if
> our users need a change that the rest of the GNU developers don't want
> to include, or if it would take more time and effort than we can afford
> in order to get a change acceptable for FSF, we're going to keep the
> change anyway.

I'm not aware that anyone from Apple has even attempted to contribute
all the binutils changes necessary for a working Darwin toolchain.  I
know you've had difficulty with gcc changes, but we aren't talking about
gcc here.  :)

> In fact, one of the reasons I was asking about gas features recently
> was to assess the costs and benefits of re-merging the version that
> we forked over a decade ago.

Yes, I appreciate that.  BTW, thanks for removing much of the mpw
support.  Getting rid of non-working, maintainerless code helps.

-- 
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre



More information about the Binutils mailing list