gcc/gdb/as/ld issue

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Thu Apr 1 08:42:00 GMT 2004

Hi Andy,

> Further to my diagnostic that discovered that the BINCL optimisation in
> _bfd_link_section_stabs was too aggressive based on length of symbol, I've
> put together a patch (see attached) that compares the value of the symbols
> as well as the length of the symbols. It turns out, in our environment, that
> even though the "hash" of the symbol is the same, the value of the symbols
> is different more often than than the length of the symbol. Obviously, I
> need to take out the fprintfs but apart from that, would this patch be OK to
> fix this problem?

Yes - I have applied the tidied up version of your patch with this
ChangeLog entry:

  bfd/ChangeLog
  2004-04-01  Andy Chittenden  <achittenden@bluearc.com>

	* stabs.c (struct stab_link_includes_totals): Add field 'symb'
	that keeps the characters in a B_INCL..B_EINCL range.
	(_bfd_link_section_stabs): When computing the sum of the
	characters in a B_INCL..B_EINCL range also keep a copy of those
	characters.  Use this information to distinguish between
	include sections that have the same sum and the same length
	but which are nevertheless unique.