recent binutils and mips64-linux

Maciej W. Rozycki macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl
Fri Sep 19 17:20:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

> > > A third answer is to add a -msign-extend-addresses switch in the assembler.
> > > Together with -mabi=64 this would produce optimized ELF64 output.
> >
> >  Hmm, what do you exactly mean -- is that what I am worrying about?
>
> The idea is to use the assembler's 32bit macro expansions for addresses.

 So it is...

> This reduces the .text size of a n64 kernel and improves the performance,
> without tricks like -Wa,32.

 What if the final link leads to segments being mapped outside the 32-bit
address range?  We won't know about it when assembling.

 If the idea were to be implemented, there should be a flag added to the
header of object files that would forbid the linker to map addresses
outside the 32-bit range.