FreeBSD 4.6 - binutils 2.14 installs useless libbfd

John Levon levon@movementarian.org
Fri Sep 12 17:42:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:38:35AM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:

> > We need to either install libbfd, or link statically.  I think
> > distributions prefer to use dynamic linking to save space.
>
> It is what we are doing today, at least on Linux. There are no
> libbfd.so nor libopcodes.so if binutils.spec is used:
>
> rm -f ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}%{_prefix}/lib/lib{bfd,opcodes}.{la,so}

Besides, that doesn't explain why bfd.h gets installed which definitely
isn't needed if you want to force people to not use libbfd :)

Anyway I think we're in rough agreement, it's unfortunate for the few
projects that need this functionality such as mine but as a general
policy sensible. I'm sure in a few years it'll all shake out to be OK
assuming Ulrich doesn't refuse portability patches for elfutils

regards
john
Khendon's Law:
If the same point is made twice by the same person, the thread is over.