current cvs version build issues

J. Grant jg-lists@jguk.org
Thu Oct 23 22:49:00 GMT 2003


Hello,

Thank you for the replies.

>> $ ./configure
> 
> First of all, don't do that, use a separate build directory.

good point.

>> checking for c++... c++
>> checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ -g -O2 ) works... no
>> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler 
>> cannot create executables.
> 
> That means that there _was_ a 'c++' in your path but it didn't work, I
> bet.

I found a dud symlink from c++, so this likely caused the problem. 
However, I thought the default compiler to use for C++ was g++?

> For the rest, you have checked out src.  You probably only want to
> check out the binutils module.  You're probably not interested in sid
> (and from that build failure I guess not many people use the copy in
> this repository at all).

I did "cvs co binutils", and then "cvs update -d" (within src dir), as I 
thought the later would only update what I had checked out, but the -d 
meant I got the extra code by accident though.

>> Is there an IRC channel where binutils developers meet up to chat?
> 
> Not really.

I found the GCC developer's IRC channel #gcc at irc.oftc.net seemed to 
be quite interesting, as an alternative.

Regards


JG



More information about the Binutils mailing list