binutils for Motorola PPC e500 core

Kumar Gala kumar.gala@motorola.com
Fri Oct 17 13:50:00 GMT 2003


On Friday, October 17, 2003, at 05:52 AM, Nick Clifton wrote:

> Hi Rama,
>
>> I am working on a variant of Motorola PPC e500 core
>> which follows the Book E instruction set. I need the
>> assembler and compiler for it. I have the GCC 3.3.0
>> and binutils 2.14 source tarballs. What should be the
>> target option for the configuration? should I
>> configure it for PowerPC and add -mcpu-e500
>
> Not quite.  Try using:
>
>     --target=powerpc-elf --with-cpu=8540
>
>
>> I have also noticed the 8540.md file specifying the pipeline
>> info. Is there any support for 8560?
>
> Not yet.

I would not expect there ever to be.  The 8560 has the exact same e500 
core as 8560.  There would be no reason for binutils or gcc to 
explicitly support it.

- kumar



More information about the Binutils mailing list