Remastering binaries for porting betwean architectures?

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@mvista.com
Thu Oct 9 18:09:00 GMT 2003


On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 05:04:16PM +0200, Zoran Sinigoj wrote:
> Good day there.
> 
> I've got an instances of particular shared object library for HPUX, SunOS 
> and some other. I'm interested if those are possible to remaster in some  
> way to produce ELF format for i386 architecture. Although an instance of  
> my DSO for SunOS platform has been made in ELF format and I can examine  
> its contents using readelf utility, it is useless in builds where linker  
> yelds that DSO is incompatible.
> My objcopy man page sugests that a variety of architectures should be 
> supported to recognize and translate from and to but `objdump -i' states 
> only one and that's i386. So I assume there should be some way to upgrade 
> binutils to recognize other architectures.
> Please advise me how can I achieve this or how could be possible to 
> remaster alien DOS to work on Linux otherways.

Objcopy can only convert the format of the binary.  It can't convert
the code; you need a copy of the DSO compiled for i386 to run it on
i386.

-- 
Daniel Jacobowitz
MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer



More information about the Binutils mailing list