ld --oformat binary

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@mvista.com
Sun Oct 5 20:56:00 GMT 2003


On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 01:41:25PM -0700, Kristis Makris wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I've been trying to create a plain binary file using the linker with the
> following line:
> 
> $ ld -R ../../../../kernel/kernel-source-2.4.20.mod/vmlinux -r
> dynreplace_scheduler_v3.o -o dynreplace_file.o --oformat binary
> ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf32-i386
> (dynreplace_scheduler_v3.o) to format binary (dynreplace_file.o) is not
> supported
> 
> To the best of your guys knowledge, is there any technical limitation
> that would prohibit supporting that feature, or does that feature just
> happen not to be implemented at this time ? I could use that feature and
> I'm wondering if it would be accepted to ld if I was to implement it.

It's meaningless; you're probably misunderstanding what it (or
something else) does if you're trying to use it.

Binary is just a straight binary dump.  There's no metadata. 
Therefore, there can be no relocations, and so ld -r doesn't make
sense.  What are you trying to do?

-- 
Daniel Jacobowitz
MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer



More information about the Binutils mailing list