[BUG] Regression in 2.14.90 (relative to 2.13.90)

H. J. Lu hjl@lucon.org
Wed Nov 26 17:50:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 04:35:50PM +0000, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Daniel, Hi HJ
>
> >> Is there a way to tell GDB that a particular line table entry is
> >> invalid ?  Or is the linker supposed to delete such entries entirely
> >> from the line table ?
> >
> > I believe the latter.  Can anyone see a use of line table entries which
> > do not correspond to used code?  I can't think of an example.
>
> HJ - what is the reason behind your patch to preserve as much debug
> info as possible ?  It seems that including this information is what
> it causing the problem, and ideally what we ought to be doing is
> discarding .gnu.linkonce sections containing debug info, rather than
> retaining them.

The root problem is ld didn't discard it. It put 0 there instead, which
doesn't work too well. My testcase shows it. It is the problem which
can be fixed with SHT_GROUP. My change solves most, but not all, of the
problem.

H.J.