flag day for Solaris portions of config.{guess,sub}

Phil Edwards phil@codesourcery.com
Thu Nov 20 22:27:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:14:47PM +0100, Rainer Orth wrote:
> Eric Botcazou writes:
>
> > What's the point in exchanging a minor barrier for a major maintainance
> > problem?
>
> Exactly: all messages Paul came up with were from users wondering about the
> discrepancy between their knowledge of the O/S version and the config.guess
> output.  The same kind of confusion comes up regularly between SunOS 5.x
> and Solaris 2.x/Solaris x, and is resolved as soon as it is explained
> (usually by pointing people at the Solaris 2 FAQ).

As a longtime user and administrator of Solaris boxes, I strongly agree.
The weirdness is a complete marketing tactic with little technical merit,
and is easily understood by pointing new users at Casper Dik's Solaris 2 FAQ.

This change is unneeded, will create confusion, and gets us no benefit in
exchange for even more work.  Increasing the maintanence hassle for Free
Software authors is hardly a solution to new user's confusion.

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan