ld: final link failed: Input/output error

Kamaraju Kusumanchi kk288@cornell.edu
Mon Nov 10 22:10:00 GMT 2003


Hi all
    I am using redhat 9, GNU ld version 2.13.90.0.18 20030206, 
binutils-2.13.90.0.18-9, ifcVersion 7.0   Build 20021028Z .

I have a small fortran program which prints "hello world" on the 
terminal. Let's say this file is stored in test.f90

$ ifc test.f90

works fine as is expected. But If I do

$ifc -c test.f90 -o test.o
$ifc test.o
ld: final link failed: Input/output error

What does this error mean? How can I get rid of it? How to compile the 
program? The same problem exists even if I am using absoft fortran compiler.

To test if the compilers wont allow this kind of compilation I did one 
more thing. I created a local partition on my hard disk and copied the 
program and compiled the program. Both the variations work just fine.

The following is the partition table of my hard disk

$df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2             9.6G  8.7G  459M  96% /
none                  441M     0  440M   0% /dev/shm
128.253.249.231:/home
                      1.2T  443G  706G  39% /home

The /home directory is mounted from 128.253.249.231 through NFS to the 
local machine.

All the software is stored on the local drive. Only the files in /home 
are mounted from the server. I would like to know why I cant compile the 
NFS mounted files through the second method?

If it is of any help my /etc/fstab is as follows:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0
0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    
noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
128.253.249.231:/home   /home                   nfs     soft,timeo=1     0 0

Any help in this regard is appreciated very much

--raju




More information about the Binutils mailing list