PATCH: Standardize on i[3-9]86 in Binutils

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri May 16 10:06:00 GMT 2003

Hi Kelley,

> Currently, only freebsd ports accepts i786 as a machine type
> in binutils.  This allows any OS to use the i786 as a
> machine type.  Various places in the tree were already using
> i[3-9]86 so I used that nomenclature throughout binutils.

Well really it is only place - libtool.m4 - in a FreeBSD/OpenBSD
specific check.

I am not at all convinced that it is OK to accept identification
strings for processors that do not exist yet (and may never exist).
Changing the configuration to support "i[3-7]86" would be OK, but I am
not happy with "i[3-9]86".  If it is important to you that the tools
support "i[3-9]86" then please explain why, otherwise if you could
submit a revised patch using "i[3-7]86" then I would be much obliged.