[rfa] FRV input files

Andrew Cagney ac131313@redhat.com
Sat May 10 15:30:00 GMT 2003

> On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 11:10:07AM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
>> Alan, ok?
>

> I'm not going to step into this argument by giving an OK that I
> might later regret.  :)

This is the original FRV file's copyright notice:

; Fujitsu FRV CPU description.  -*- Scheme -*-
; Copyright (C) 2000, 2001 Red Hat, Inc.
; This file is part of CGEN.
; See file COPYING.CGEN for details.

And this is the exception clause, from COPYING.CGEN, that I understand
some people are lobying to have added to the standard GPL being applied
to the .cpu files being contributed:

s/Red Hat/Free Software Foundation/
> As a special exception, Red Hat gives unlimited permission to copy,
> distribute and modify the code that is the output of CGEN.   You need
> not follow the terms of the GNU General Public License when using or
> distributing such code, even though portions of the text of CGEN
> appear in them.  The GNU General Public License (GPL) does govern all
> other use of the material that constitutes the CGEN program.
>
> Certain portions of the CGEN source text are designed to be copied (in
> certain cases, depending on the input) into the output of CGEN.  We
> call these the "data" portions.  CPU description files are, for the
> purposes of this copyright, deemed "data".  The rest of the CGEN
> source text consists of comments plus executable code that decides
> which of the data portions to output in any given case.  We call these
> comments and executable code the "non-data" portions.  CGEN never
> copies any of the non-data portions into its output.
>
> This special exception to the GPL applies to versions of CGEN released
> by Red Hat.  When you make and distribute a modified version of CGEN,
> you may extend this special exception to the GPL to apply to your
> modified version as well, *unless* your modified version has the
> potential to copy into its output some of the text that was the
> non-data portion of the version that you started with.  (In other
> words, unless your change moves or copies text from the non-data
> portions to the data portions.)  If your modification has such
> potential, you must delete any notice of this special exception to the
> GPL from your modified version.

I think the opening sentence says it all.

Andrew