Optimised output from ld

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Fri May 9 22:23:00 GMT 2003


Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:

> Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> writes:
> 
> > On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 01:58:06AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > > --gc-sections is not supported in conjunction with -r.  I'm not sure
> > > why, myself.
> > 
> > (1) There is no entry point to begin keeping sections.
> > (2) It is not known what symbols the runtime will refer to.
> 
> I suppose it would be possible to require explicit -U options when
> using --gc-sections with -r, and use that set of symbols as the root.
> That might be useful for embedded systems which work with relocateable
> object files.  If anybody cares enough to implement it.

Sorry, of course I mean -u (--undefined) options.

Ian



More information about the Binutils mailing list