srcdir == objdir build issues [SC take note]

Phil Edwards phil@jaj.com
Fri May 9 18:54:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 02:41:51PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> Given how much trouble I've had keeping ./configure working, I think
> any new twists will end up with the same fate.  At this point, I'd
> accept your solution if I thought it would help, but I think it would
> end up the same as what we have now - unsupportable.

The difference is that the twists up to this point have been spread
everywhere.  All through the configury, all through the makefiles.

> The problem is getting the regular gcc developers to test setups other
> than the common one.  Either they're going to test them, or they
> aren't.  If they're going to test them, we can continue supporting
> ./configure the "natural" way.  If they're not going to test them,
> let's not fool ourselves into thinking we can support it.

The approach that Mark et al proposed and that I implemented doesn't
require constant tweaking, like the current situation.  It doesn't need
to be constantly tested.

To remind the audience, what we're talking about had some discussion here:

and some patching here (note this was before the top-level autoconfiscation):

I like the idea of making our configury simply require/assume separate
build dirs, but there's no need to reject an in-srcdir *interface* just
because maintaining a parallel in-srcdir *implementation* has been a PITA.

Phil