[RFC] windres' -I option

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 18:59:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 10:41:15AM -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> >ChangeLog
>> >  Rename the -I option to -J. Introduce -I as synonym for --include-dir.
>>
>> I meant to mention that this is not a valid ChangeLog.  Take a look
>> at the entries in the binutils ChangeLog and you'll see that this isn't
>> even close to the correct format.
>
>Fine, here it is again (sorry, you guys have different format from what
>we use in the Wine comunity):
>
>ChangeLog
>	Dimitrie O. Paun <dpaun@rogers.com>
>	* windres.c:  Rename the -I option to -J. Introduce -I as synonym
>	for --include-dir. For backwards compatibility also support the
>	old -I behaviour, but issue a deprecation warning.
>	* doc/binutils.texi: Rename -I to -J. Document the new behaviour
>	of the -I option.
>
>Is this better?

Slightly.  However, we really want a complete ChangeLog in exactly the format
that you see in the ChangeLog itself, complete with time and date and function
names.

Nick or I can fix this up when it goes in but if you are going to provide
patches in the future, you really need to take another look at the ChangeLog
format.

>>Nick, am I correct in assuming that this is now large enough and
>>complex enough to require an FSF assignment?  Sigh.
>
>I think I've signed one many years ago.  But also the change is small
>enough, and I herby assign the copyright to the FSF.  No need to go
>through the formal hassle for this small of a change I hope.

This is one of the most unpleasant things about being a GNU (or cygwin
for that matter) maintainer.  We really need to have all of the
paperwork even for changes that seem small.  It's an unfortunate legal
requirement and I realize that it is a big barrier to entry for getting
changes into GNU software.

cgf