[Bug] ld aborts linking large ieee file

Gene Smith gds@chartertn.net
Wed Mar 12 04:24:00 GMT 2003

Gene Smith wrote:
 > Also, if I try to do a objcopy of the large 3rd party ieee file (even
 > with no transformation) objcopy segfaults.  However, the large 3rd
 >party ieee file lists nicely with objdump.

gdb shows this caused by a call to ieee_write_expression() in
bfd/ieee.c:2496 (binutils 2.13) with a NULL pointer in 3rd parameter
(pointer to asymbol). The null pointer is shortly de-referenced inside
the function causing segfault. Don't see a difference in latest cvs.
Don't know all that is going on but perhaps should just return false
instead of calling ieee_write_expression() when r->sym_ptr_ptr is null
at li 2486?
-gene