Problem with linking a.out-i386 files on a solaris host
Nick Clifton
nickc@redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 13:45:00 GMT 2003
Hi Carl,
> I have built the most recent binutils with support for all possible
> targets.
>
> When I execute:
>
> ld -b a.out-i386 file1.o file2.o file3.o file4.o --oformat a.out-i386 -o outfile
>
> I get warnings like
>
> 'ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `file1.o' is incompatible with sparc output'
These warnings can be suppressed with the "--no-warn-mismatch" switch,
but I guess that this is not what you really want.
> But I am not trying to generate a sparc output file. I am in fact trying to generate a
> a.out-i386 output file.
Indeed - it seems that the --oformat functionality of the linker is
severely broken. If the specified output format is not a variation of
the default output format the linker does not behave very well at
all. I would recommend, for now, that you build an a.out-i386
targeted, sparc hosted linker instead and use that to create your
'outfile' binary.
Cheers
Nick
More information about the Binutils
mailing list