New port m32r-linux

Doug Evans dje@transmeta.com
Thu Jun 19 06:55:00 GMT 2003

Kazuhiro Inaoka writes:
 > Hello
 >
 > I am preparing porting of m32r-linux target GNU tools.
 >
 > At the first,
 > I think that it needs new relocations (R_M32R_GOT24, R_M32R_26_PLTREL,
 > R_M32R_GOT24 .. .etc).
 > Now we have only m32r-elf target.
 > Would you tell me the process of porting new targets if there are any
 > policies?
 >
 > Do we need to keep the compatiblity of m32r-linux relocations with m32r-elf?
 > I want to change relocation type form REL to RELA for porting linux form
 > now.
 > Please give me advices!
 > Then I will create patches.

fwiw, imo, and all that ...

Having m32r-elf.o be incompatible with m32r-linux.o would be a
mistake.  Don't go there.  They must be compatible.

You can certainly choose to make m32r-linux RELA, leaving
making m32r-elf RELA (while still supporting REL) for another day.
The point is having a clear and simple upgrade path that is compatible
and is defined on day 1 and isn't an afterthought.

As for the process of porting new targets: use the standard operating
procedure of finding an existing target that is close to what you
want and then use it as boilerplate.

fwiw, imo, and all that.