Partial autoconf transition thoughts

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Fri Jun 13 14:02:00 GMT 2003

On Jun 13, 2003, "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl> wrote:

>  OK, then what about the following example: on an i386-linux system I have
> three shared binaries of libbfd, one is for i386-linux host and i386-linux
> target, another one is for i386-linux host and mipsel-linux target and the
> last one is for mipsel-linux host and mipsel-linux target.

$(exec_prefix)/$(target_alias) should place them in different
directories.

>  Anyway see 'http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-05/msg00184.html'
> and its follow ups for the origin of the choice -- as you took part in the
> discussion, I'm actually surprised you are not aware of the current setup.

/me claims faulty memory, in self defense :-)

/me notes that the original thread subject was bfd.h, and
$(includedir) is part of $(prefix), not $(exec_prefix) like $(libdir).

Anyway, after re-reading the thread, I remember why we chose to do it
the way we did it.  It does make sense, even thought I still find it
not ideal.