patch: ".unreq" pseudo op for ARM

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Tue Jul 29 17:48:00 GMT 2003

Pete Gonzalez <gonz@ratloop.com> writes:

> BTW has there been any discussion about improving the gas macro
> facilities?  Every time I've used ".macro" has involved ugly
> hacks and contortions.  Would anyone be interested e.g. in some
> modifications to replace it with a simple recursive evaluator
> like M4 or Lisp?

Do you mean user visible changes?  That would probably be a bad
idea--we don't want to break existing code, and besides the current
.macro facility is fairly similar to what other assemblers provide.

If you want to use something like M4, just run your code through M4
before passing it to the assembler.  That's a fairly common
technique, actually.

If you mean changes that are not user visible, then, sure, sounds
good.

Ian