when an executable is loaded, it's address will be changed?

Ge Jun gejun@iastate.edu
Wed Jul 23 15:53:00 GMT 2003

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

>Ge Jun <gejun@iastate.edu> writes:
>

>>An executable's code has already the absolute address(or the relative
>>address in that section?) in it.  For
>>example, the "nm" tool can list the address of the labels.
>>
>>My question is, when the executable is loaded by linux, will the
>>address be changed?
>>

>No, the address of an executable will not be changed.  (The address of
>a shared library may--indeed, probably will--be changed when it is
>loaded.)
>
>In other words, it is not a requirement that the code in an executable
>be position independent.

Thank you very much!!  I still have a question.  How does the loader
work if I have several copies of the program running simutaneously?
 Their address are the same.   They will be loaded in the same address
in the memory(but only one is in there at one time)?  If possible, could
you please also give me a link talking about how does the loader work?
 I checked by myself but failed to find such a webpage.

Thank you again!!

Jun