GNU as 2.14 on IRIX 6: crashes with shared libs

Andrew Cagney ac131313@redhat.com
Tue Jul 22 16:42:00 GMT 2003

> Actually, the reason that GDB supports the ".pdr" section is the
> inadequacy of that prologue scanner.  Perhaps it's fixable, perhaps it
> isn't; I'm not sure.  The change definitely helped.

Just FYI,

It's somewhat chicken vs egg.  MIPS added the .pdr stuff due to the
recognized complexity of implementing a prologue scanner for that
architecture.  Exactly which occured first (.pdr or someone failing to
implement the scanner) I don't know, but the problem is independant of GDB.

Now ~15 years later we're back with almost the same problem, only this
time the scanner is avoided by using dwarf 2 cfi :-)

Andrew